The TRIZ problem solving process and algorithm can be "reversed" to very effectively and more completely deal with system, product, safety, and environmental concerns relating to products, organizations, and systems. We can also use it to provide key elements that can challenge a business continuity plan and insure its viability.
Instead of the normal TRIZ thinking process that asks for an ideal result and then looks for resources and contradiction resolution to achieve this, we invert the thinking as follows:
- State the ideal result: We want a backup system to function properly and protect property and personnel during an emergency
- Invert the desired result: We want the backup system to fail
- Exaggerate the inverted problem: We want the back up system to fail all the time and cause serious personnel injuries, lost business interruption, and total loss of property
- Ask, "How would I accomplish this?" What resources do I need? What principles would be used?
- Evaluate and prioritize these possibilities based on resource analysis and availability
- Solve these problems using TRIZ in its normal fashion, or if obvious solutions are available, implement them.
As with normal inventive problem solving, we use complementary cause and effect modeling software when appropriate to assist in the problem analysis.
Innovation-TRIZ has a strategic partnership with Elliot Consulting (www.elliot-consulting.com) to broaden our capabilities and ability to assist customers in the broader area of buseinss continuity planning. Elliot Consulting is a widely recognized firm in the area of business continuity and disaster preparedness that has now added TRIZ to their capabilities and Innovation-TRIZ can now bring their practical hands-on experience to our clients. In addition to improved hazard and business continuity analysis and audits, we can offer solutions to the issues presented in these analyses.
To receive their monthly newsletter, go to www.elliot-consulting.com/newsroom. You'll find all kinds of helpful tips and links to assist you in making sure that your business continues through the next disaster, whether it be a hurricane, tornado, flood, or sabotage. You'll also be able to sign up for their monthly newsletter
To see a summary article published by New and Improved, another innovation consulting group, go to www.newandimproved.com/newsletter/2015.php.
We have applied these inverted ideality tools and processes in real client situations, identifying potential threats and sources not recognized by existing internal or industry processes:
Analysis of cause of chemical release not identifiable with numerous HAZOP analyses
Analyses of potential lysteria bacteria contamination in cheese processing
Bank of Montreal
Analyses of potential faults in new electronic bank fraud business